IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows.
IrfanView is a known program, with which you can view images and also edit.
The possibilities of an image editing are constrained because it is IrfanView an image viewing and playback software. Basic functions, such as cut, color changes, blur, contrast and negative, but are available. And there are also a number of special effects: so you can remove red-eye for example photos or create panoramic images with IrfanView. You can many of the editing features as batch processing run. So you can edit easily many files in a single step.
Many free graphics formats can be processed by the software: JPG, TIFF, GIF, and PNG for example. These formats can be opened not only, but can be converted in other formats. Also licensed graphics formats you can with IrfanView open, edit and convert, but are special plug-in the necessary, that you can get separately. IrfanView can do even more: so you can play including music or watch films. The software supports the various multimedia formats, such as MPEG, FLV and MP3.
Generally, IrfanView runs on all Windows based computers and can be downloaded here free of charge online. For free you can't use but commercial the program never, unless you work for a charity or you use IrfanView for training purposes. In addition to the normal installation software, also a portable version of IrfanView is available. You can use this if you're on the go and want to run images or multimedia files on removable media.
IrfanView: the most important functions at a glance:
• many file formats are supported
• Image viewing and editing
• Play back multimedia content
• numerous plug-in the available
• File search
• and much more
The history of IrfanView
IrfanView was developed by Irfan Skiljan Bosnian programmer and named after this. the first version of IrfanView, which was available only in English was published in 1995. The first German version was released in 1998. Since then, the program both in English and in German is further developed. Since 2001, each new version is translated into more than 20 languages. About every six months appear updates that you can download free of charge.
IrfanView 4.27 has many new features as compared to the older versions. The menu has been added to numerous functions and the operation has been simplified by keyboard shortcuts, known as hot keys. Thus the image editing can be even easier. For example, scrolled can be now also vertically when the mouse wheel together with the shift button is operated. Many dialog box have been adapted to a simpler work.
The most important changes in IrfanView 4.27
• new menu items for faster selection of functions
• new shortcut key combinations to choose from, for vertical scrolling and the like
• clearer design of dialog box
• New button: back to the template
• New Lossless JPG Dialog option: Rebuild EXIF-Thumbnail
• Update of EXIF-Thumbnail on JPG-Lossless-Crop
• Option to Edit EXIF date/time (Options menu or Thumbnails window for batch mode)
• Improved color accuracy in "Decrease color depth" function
• Added "Best quality" option in "Decrease color depth" dialog (Thanks to Kornel Lesinski!)
• New (Freeware) PlugIn for DWG format - thanks to BabaCAD-Software guys!
• New feature: Replace Color (Image menu and Advanced Batch dialog)
• New feature: Create tiled image (Image menu)
• New effects PlugIn: Filter Sandbox (Image->Effects menu, JewelScript, thanks to Stefan Kuhn!)
• Option to invert single color channels only (Image menu)
• New Edit menu option: Show Grid (see also Properties->Editing for cell size)
• New Slideshow Burning PlugIn for WinXP SP3 or later (Thanks to Eric Haddan!)
• New display options added: Fit small image side to window/desktop
• Profiles option added to Batch Rename dialog
• New Advanced Batch dialog option: Set new image size in MegaPixels
• New options for Fine Rotation effect: Keep old image size and background
• New feature in Color Corrections dialog: Change White Balance
• New effect in "Image->Add border/frame" dialog: Inside fading frame
• New Thumbnails menu: Extract pages from selected multipage files
• New Add Text dialog effect: Filled outline text (Thanks to Wong Shao Voon)
• Negative and Grayscale menus can work on selections
• Improved selection handling with large zooms
• Updated Icons-Plugin (bigger/nicer icons, thanks to Florian Kilzer)
• New hotkeys: CTRL + SHIFT + left/right arrow: Fine rotation, 0.10 deg
• New hotkeys: CTRL + SHIFT + up/down arrow: Fine rotation, 0.05 deg
• Batch-Scan dialog: some placeholders can be used for the filename (help file)
• New text placeholders to add $ and | characters (see help file)
• New (admin) INI file option: Set save formats in Save-As dialog (see FAQs)
• New hotkey for slideshow mode: SHIFT + Z = show all or portrait/landscape images
• Hotkey: G = stop or resume GIF/ANI animation (browse frames/pages if stopped)
• DCX/ANI loading bug fixed (reported by FuzzMyApp, thanks!)
• FuzzMyApp - ANI and FuzzMyApp - DCX
• FPX PlugIn bug fixed (reported by Secunia/Krystian Kloskowski, thanks!)
• Secunia Advisory SA53579
• Added reading support for 32-bit (96 BPP) TIF images
• New command line option: /multipdf (same syntax as /multitif)
• Several PlugIns are changed/updated, please install the newest versions